This weekend I really got bitten by the knitting bug! Creating 2 dishcloths and casting on a third over just 2 days… Admittedly they are fast and easy knits, but I’ve never spent much time knitting either. I’m impressed with myself and very excited for my knitting future :) My goal this year is to learn to knit socks, so everything I’m doing has some kind of connection to that.
The first dishcloth, the garter ridge one, was done with my only (at the time) pair of needles, size 4 mm aluminium ones.
This is done in Schachemayr’s Cotton Bamboo Batik, which is DK weight and should work with size 4 mm needles according to the label, but the needles turned out too big. It created a kind of holey fabric, and I don’t think this kind of item should be light and airy, I prefer a more robust fabric :) The pattern is really nice, but also not with variegated yarn, it’s just too busy. I will definitely do it again but with solid coloured yarn and needles to match the yarn better.
I started knitting Friday night and Saturday morning we went into town to see the market and visit the library. I borrowed two knitting books (one basic knitting facts-book and one on sock knitting) and I also snuck in a short short visit to the yarn shop to get me some smaller needles. I bought both 3 mm and 3.5 mm ones just in case ;)
The next cloth I tried was the stockinette one with garter edges. I was hoping the variegation would be less busy in stockinette and I also used my newly bought 3 mm needles. This is the result!
A bit wonky at the edges, but otherwise I love it! Stockinette really shows off this yarn in a good way. When I finished the first one I realised I hadn’t bound off knitting more than.. say…. three times in my life. I’ve cast on thousands of times compared to the times I’ve bound off. I guess you can see how this is linked to knitting never being a favourite before.. I checked my newly borrowed basics book for a bind off method and just used that. It was kind of tricky at first, but once I’d done about 20 stitches it was easier. Sadly though, that bind off was not stretchy at all and ended up a little bit too tight and short. So for this blue one I googled “elastic bind off” and found “Jeny’s surprisingly stretchy bind off” and used that instead. It was really hard to master! I almost dropped all of my stitches several times before I finished binding off, both from my left and right needle. I’m not yet used to lifting stitches with the left needle, everything bunches together and becomes a splitty mess. But eventually I won! And I liked the finish a lot better :) I think I will experiment with different cast on and bind of methods for my coming dishcloths, just for practice.
Now I’ve cast on a third dishcloth, a Grandmother’s favourite which is knit diagonally and with yarn overs. Another thing off my list, I now know how to do yarn overs (in knit stitch)! Next thing I want to do is something where I need to slip stitches, preferably both purlwise and knitwise so I can get a feel for how it works and when :) If I’ve read correctly this will probably be needed for heel knitting when making socks :)